Huntington Ballet Academy uses the American Ballet Theatre (R) National Training Curriculum. The majority of our faculty have obtained a Masters degree (MA) from the NYU/ABT program.
Our Faculty have completed ABT Certification and/or MA in Ballet Pedagogy from New York University
Master of Arts in Dance Education, ABT Ballet Pedagogy
Offered through New York University’s Steinhardt School
and American Ballet Theatre
Current Faculty that hold MA degrees:
- Saya Harada – Level 3 & 4, Modern, Character, Choreography
- Kine Swensson- Level 1,2,3,4
Former Faculty that hold MA degrees from NYU:
- Maeve Dougal
- Sonia Jones
New York University and American Ballet Theatre have entered into a partnership to offer the first ever Graduate program in Dance Education with a concentration in Ballet
- Master of Arts degree in Teaching Dance in the Professions with a concentration in ABT Ballet Pedagogy
- Prepares dance teachers for studios, conservatories, and company schools, as well as for further doctoral study in dance education and teaching in higher education
- Full-time study; coursework starts each September and can be completed in just three semesters
- Students examine the study of ballet technique for the express purpose of developing research-informed and proficient teachers who possess a complete understanding of the use of the biomechanics of movement, artistic imagery, and the development of students on professional and recreational tracks of study
- Integrated fieldwork studies provide opportunities to cultivate professional networks in the dance capital of the world.
ABT’s National Training Curriculum
ABT’s National Training Curriculum is a program for the development and training of young students that embraces sound ballet principles and incorporates elements of the French, Italian and Russian schools of training. Under the direction of ABT Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie, ABT’s National Training Curriculum was designed and written by Franco De Vita and Raymond Lukens in collaboration with ABT’s Artistic Advisorsand the Medical Advisory Board.
ABT’s National Training Curriculum aims to assist beginning through advanced teachers in training dance students to use their bodies correctly, focusing on kinetics and coordination, as well as anatomy and proper body alignment. Artistically, the National Training Curriculum strives to provide dance students with a rich knowledge of classical ballet technique and the ability to adapt to all styles and techniques of dance.
ABT Certified Teachers have completed intensive training in the ABT National Training Curriculum and successfully passed comprehensive examination(s).
SHANNON GRANT: Ballet/Pointe Levels 3 & 4 – ABT Certified Teacher 2016
Additional Faculty : Chloe Singer (BFA Dance) – Levels 1-4, Classical Variations, Contemporary Ballet, Modern